EECS3020 Introduction to Computer Networks, Fall 2023
- Instructor: Cheng-Hsin Hsu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Time: Monday 3:30 p.m.-5:20 p.m.; Thursday 2:20 p.m.-3:10 p.m.
- Location: Delta 104
- Office Hours: Wednesday 2-3 p.m. or by appointment, at Delta 643
- TA: Chih-Chun Wu (email@example.com), Yuan-Chun Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Shin-Yi Zheng (email@example.com)
- TA Hour: Thursday 7-8 p.m., at EECS 741
This course aims to introduce the design principles of computer networks and train students to implement networked applications. We will discuss computer networks and the Internet, application layer protocols, transport layer protocols, network layer protocols, and data link layer protocols.
The lectures will be given in English. All the reports must be in English.
This course will cover the following tentative topics:
- Computer Networks and the Internet
- Application Layer
- Transport Layer
- The Network layer: Data Plane
- The Network layer: Control Plane
- The link layer and Local Area Networks
- Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, by James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross, 8th Edition, Pearson.
Note: You can find the links for purchasing the textbook at the authors’ website: https://gaia.cs.umass.edu/kurose_ross/eighth.php. You can also download the slides used in my lectures there. Since I only made minor changes in the slides, I won’t share my (edited) slides on the course websites.
- Slide presentations.
- Programming Assignments (40 pts)
- Midterm Exam #1 (20 pts)
- Midterm Exam #2 (20 pts)
- Final Exam (20 pts)