CS3570 Introduction to Multimedia, Spring 2021
- Instructor: Cheng-Hsin Hsu (email@example.com)
- Time: Tuesdays 1:20 p.m.-2:10 p.m.; Fridays 1:20 p.m.-3:10 p.m.
- Location: Delta 103
- Office Hour: Monday 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. at Delta 643
- TA: Tse-Hou Hung (firstname.lastname@example.org), Min-Han Tsai (email@example.com), and Cheng-Hao Wu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TA Hour: Wednesdays 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. at EECS 742
This course covers the technical background knowledge in multimedia technologies. We will focus on the representation, processing, and analysis of various types of multimedia data, including image, video, graphics, and audio. This course will require students to implement some classical algorithms to process the major types of multimedia data.
The lectures will be given in English. All the reports must be in English.
This course will cover the following tentative topics:
- Digital Media
- Digital Audio
- Digital Image
- Digital Video
- Multimedia Networking
- Machine Learning
- Extended Reality
- Li, Drew, and Liu, Fundamentals of Multimedia, 2nd Ed., Springer, 2014 (available online on campus).
The first five units of our discussions can be mapped to the textbook chapters as follows:
- Digital Media: Chapters 1 and 2
- Digital Audio: Chapters 6, 13, and 14
- Digital Image: Chapters 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9
- Digital Video: Chapters 5, 10, 11, and 12
- Multimedia Networking: Chapters 15, 16, and 17
- Lecture presentations with slides
- Guest speakers
- Final group projects
- Assignments (40%)
- Midterm Exam (30%)
- Final Project (30%)