CS2336 Discrete Mathematics, Spring 2015
- Instructor: Cheng-Hsin Hsu (chsu AT cs.nthu.edu.tw), Delta (台達館) 643.
- Time: Mondays 3:30 p.m. – 5:20 p.m., Thursdays 2:20 – 3:10 p.m.
- Location: Delta (台達館) 103.
- Office Hour: Thursday 3:10 p.m.- 4:00 p.m. at Delta 643.
- TA: Tao-Ya Fan-Jiang (tyfanchiang92 AT gmail.com) at Delta (台達館) 713.
- TA Office Hour: Mondays 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Delta 713.
We will discuss selected topics from discrete math, enumeration, graph theory, and some combinatorial optimization.
“Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics”, R. Grimaldi, 5th Edition, Addison Wesley. Please check with the TA for where to purchase this book.
Lectures, quizzes, and exams.
This course will tentatively cover the following topics:
- Fundamental Principles of Counting (Chapter 1 in textbook)
- Fundamental of Logic (Chapter 2)
- Set Theory (Chapter 3)
- Properties of Integers: Mathematical Induction (Chapter 4)
- Relations and Functions (Chapter 5)
- Laguages: Finite State Machines (Chapter 6)
- Relations: The Second Time Around (Chapter 7)
- The Principle of Inclusion and Exclusion (Chapter 8)
- Generating Functions (Chapter 9)
- Recurrence Relations (Chapter 10)
- An Introduction to Graph Theory (Chapter 11)
- Trees (Chapter 12)
- Optimization and Matching (Chapter 13)
Quiz (60%), 10 times
Midterm Exam (20%)
Final Exam (20%)