CS2336 Discrete Mathematics, Spring 2014
- Instructor: Cheng-Hsin Hsu (chsu AT cs.nthu.edu.tw), Delta (台達館) 643.
- Time: Monday 3:30 – 5:20 p.m., Thursday 2:20 – 3:10 p.m.
- Location: Delta (台達館) 109.
- Office Hour: Thursday 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. or by appointments.
- TA: Shu-Ting Wang (kelvinstwang AT gmail.com) and Yi-Jun Cheng (chocoyuki365 AT gmail.com), EECS 742
We will discuss selected topics from discrete math, enumeration, graph theory, and some combinatorial optimization.
“Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics”, R. Grimaldi, 5th Edition, Addison Wesley.
Lectures, quizzes, and exams.
This course will tentatively cover the following topics:
- Fundamental Principles of Counting (Chapter 1 in textbook)
- Fundamental of Logic (Chapter 2)
- Set Theory (Chapter 3)
- Properties of Integers: Mathematical Induction (Chapter 4)
- Relations and Functions (Chapter 5)
- Laguages: Finite State Machines (Chapter 6)
- Relations: The Second Time Around (Chapter 7)
- The Principle of Inclusion and Exclusion (Chapter 8)
- Generating Functions (Chapter 9)
- Recurrence Relations (Chapter 10)
- An Introduction to Graph Theory (Chapter 11)
- Trees (Chapter 12)
- Optimization and Matching (Chapter 13)
Quiz (60%), 12 times
Mid Term Exam (25%)
Final Exam (25%)